Thursday, October 2, 2014

At the end of the day....

Socks aren't necessarily my favorite thing to knit, but they are my favorite on the go project because of their portability. You can knit them practically anywhere, anytime, so for that reason, I always try to keep a pair on the needles and in my car. They are usually always plain vanilla (stockinette) for the ease of no counting repeats as you would in a patterned sock. If you go into a movie theater, for example, where the lighting isn't optimal for middle aged eyes, no problem..it's just straight knitting that you don't have to look at. Since these socks are usually kept in my car, it doesn't mean they get done at a breakneck pace either. I'm okay with that! They sometimes actually get done faster than what I would originally think, which was the case with my latest pair. Last night, I finished the first sock and it seems I still need to find my groove with sizing maybe. My last pair, which was my first afterthought heel pair, I felt were a little snug. Not unwearable mind you, but I felt like I could have used a tad bit more room. The only way I knew to try to remedy that was to knit an extra row in the heel before beginning the decreases, as well as an extra inch in the foot. So instead of knitting four rows first in the heel, I did five rows, and instead of four inches for the foot, I did five. Entirely too much for a size 6.5-7 shoe size. However, I'm going to wait until after a couple of wear and wash episodes, before I pass judgement. Meantime, I have the second sock to keep on hand in the car, if I can get past one block...matching the stripes. Normally, that wouldn't bother me, but I think because these are extra wide patterned stripes, it's nagging at me. So much so that I think what I'm going to do is rewind the rest of the entire skein so I can find my starting point. Seems ridiculous, I know, but I don't know what else to do. Last night I wanted to cast on immediately because I just love this colorway, but after winding a ball to about 3 inches diameter and still not finding a place even close to matching up the stripes, I gave up. I thought it better to start with fresh eyes in the morning. Over my morning coffee, I decided to say the heck with it, and just cast on not caring about matching patterns...just coming to the conclusion that they would be another pair of funky non matching socks. I'm not sure what it is though, I just couldn't let myself do it, so I stopped. I even began going thru Ravelry looking for validation that it was okay for them not to match. Looking at other's socks that don't match, and still I couldn't do it. So, looks like I will be spending my afternoon rewinding and possibly piecing yarn back together in order to get an entire sock to match.
 
Trying to match up stripes
 
I will get this sock cast on, since tonight I have my guild meeting to attend. It's always fun to have a project to work on while we sit and listen to business meeting minutes, and hear about fun things coming up for the rest of the year. I'm not sure we really have anything left before our Holiday party in December. We were supposed to go on a field trip by chartered bus through the Napa wine country...a sip 'n stitch...for November, but due to the recent earthquake, it was decided that it would be cancelled while those people try to put their lives back together. It is going to be planned for another time though, and I can't hardly wait!
 
I know I have said it before, but I'll say it again...I love spinning so much!!! My problem is, once I sit down at my wheel, I don't want to get up, and before I know it, a couple of hours has gone by. When you spin a thin single though, it takes a long time before you see much progress. Not only that, it's so relaxing that I get totally lost in it, and that is exactly what happened yesterday. You might not be able to see much progress between the photo I shared with you a couple of days ago, and the one here, but there has actually been quite a bit spun of this gorgeous alpaca. I think I already have a pattern picked out for it, but I will wait to share it with you as it could change once I've finished the spinning and have it skeined up.
Spinning is so exciting, and it really takes not much effort at all. One of the gals from my knitting group just bought a spindle and some tiny little sample batts to try. She brought it all last night and I taught her to drop spindle. It was so fun watching her get excited about it!!! Her sister was with her, who has just learned to knit, and she already has decided she wants to add a wheel to her Christmas wish list. How cute is that!?!? Just from watching her sister drop spindle...lol I love teaching someone with so much enthusiasm and motivation to learn something new! And another slides down the rabbit hole...hahaha
 
 
 
On this day, in 1972, my ex-husband and I welcomed our first child, our son, into the world. As we have had our share of trials and tribulations, as most families do, my love for him will always remain true. He was such a joy in our lives, always a happy, smiling boy who grew into a humorous and handsome young man. He has a beautiful family with five children, whom I miss beyond words. He has chosen not to have a relationship with me at the moment (I'm sure he has his reasons that make sense to him), so all I can do is remain strong in my faith and pray that one day we can pick up the pieces. Just for the record, he has nothing to do with his father either. I know the reasons for that, and they all make sense to the entire rest of his family, which I will not discuss here.
Anyway, I want to wish him a very Happy Birthday, with lots of peace and happiness, and all my love!!! At the end of the day, that will never change!!
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Love the socks! your explanation on how to make the heel bigger will come in handy. I am sure your son will come around some day.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by!