Friday, October 17, 2014

It was a creative day!

Such an awesome day! My granddaughter had just enough of a sniffle to keep her home from school today, but towards the afternoon she started feeling better. I wonder if it had anything to do with the Chinese food lunch I took her out for? After that, we stopped at Jo Ann's to pick up some more yarn for her crocheted baby blanket she's making for her aunt, and some jewelry wire that I spoke of in my last post. Before we went to lunch, she asked me to teach her how to make crocheted flowers. She is so amazingly fast at learning! She has never followed a pattern, she just always did what I told her to do. Today, she got a lesson in how to read patterns, and I'm still beaming at how quick she was to "get it". I failed to get pictures of her completed flowers, but I did get one of her working on them. We dug out the button tin and she had a blast picking out just the perfect "centers" for her flowers. She wants to make a headband to attach the flowers to. Very cute!!
Concentrating very hard on her work!
 
When we got back from our trip out, she continued to work on her flowers, and I cast on for a very secret project. I can't say anything about it just yet, but in the next couple of weeks, I will be able to tell you what it's for. I love this stitch though, and found it in the book, From NeedlestoHook, by the Needlecraft Shop. I've had this book forever and thought I would look in it for some different kind of stitches for this project. The yarn is Vanna's Choice, by Lion Brand in the color Pink Poodle. It needed to be a completely washable and dryable yarn, but soft. This happened to be in my stash, so it works!
 
 
The yarn I ordered for my brother's scarf arrived yesterday, so I also cast on for that today as well. I love the colors, and will work on this some more this evening!
 
 
Do you find your knitting and or crocheting mojo revs up once the weather turns cooler? Mine sure seemed to as of last night. When I got up this morning, it was rather brisk in our house and I fired up the heat for a little bit to take the chill off, while I had some hot coffee. All of a sudden, I'm reminded of the slipper socks my 'littles' have requested from me. I wonder if I can get a pair knitted up before one of them has his birthday this next week? Both of the little guys keep asking if I will knit them socks. Both of them are only five (9 1/2 months apart), but hey, when you have a grandma that does it around you all the time, I guess it only seems right that she knits you a pair too! I think I'll set the scarf aside for the evening and start on socks instead...
 
I almost forgot about my wire wrapping experience! I picked out the stone I wanted to wrap, which is a piece from New Mexico. It might be sandstone, but we aren't entirely sure. Doesn't really matter though, since I love it and I wanted to be able to wear it. I got out my jewelry beading tools, the wire I bought today, and loaded a youtube video on my laptop. I taught myself how to wrap, and you can do anything you want. I showed a girlfriend what I had done and said that it was my practice piece and that I plan to get better. She said, "there are no imperfections in wire wrapping because each piece is unique to you". I love that!! I can't hardly wait to try some more!!!
 






No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by!