Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Bring it on!

I don't believe I have ever shared my political views on my blog and I'm not going to start now, but it isn't any big secret that I did not vote for President Clinton when he took office. I have a hard time seeing the man on tv and not remembering the paces he put Hilary through in their private lives (perhaps because I was once there myself?) He appeared on David Letterman last night and it's not the first I've heard of his ventures to make the world a better place, since leaving office. Why is it when a politician leaves office, they seem to be able to do a lot more for our country, as well as other countries? As Letterman stated last night, perhaps because they don't have their hands tied with all the bs bureaucracy like they do when they are in office? Clinton has begun a campaign called My Commitment, a project of his Clinton Global Initiative, and this is one idea of his, politics aside, I couldn't agree with more! My Commitment is an effort to get people more involved in public service, and this doesn't necessarily mean you have to have money to do this. It can mean something as simple as volunteering at a soup kitchen, or helping an elderly person by walking their dog on a daily basis because they aren't able to. In my case, I choose to knit or crochet to provide comfort or warmth to a person that may not be able to provide themselves with a hat or scarf for the winter. I would like to invite you to take a look at President Clinton's website which I've hyperlinked for you. Truly inspiring, and if you would like to do something to help make our world a better place, I'd love to hear about it!

I recently joined a group on Ravelry, called Handmade Especially For You. This group knits and crochets scarves for women in shelters. They have had a request for 2000 scarves by Thanksgiving, and while I can't do very many, I have started my first one to send. I'm using some yarn I found in my stash yesterday called Impressions, by Louisa Harding, a mohair/nylon blend. Gorgeous is all I can say! It's ribbon wrapped in mohair is the best way I can describe it, so you feel the softness, but see the shiny. I'm not sure the pattern I chose is going to be the best for this fibre though. It's the Dayflower Scarf, a very pretty lace pattern that I love, but the stitches aren't showing up very well. I've got some Reynolds Revue in my stash in a stunning teal colorway that I might try today. Or, if the mood strikes, I have to make a trip to my LYS and I might pick up something else. In any case, if we all do just one scarf, believe me, it makes a huge difference in someone's life!

I would also like to mention that a lady I discovered back in 2004, before the advent of Ravelry, has put out a call for some desperately needed hats for a project near and dear to her called Warming Families. In partnership with Land's End, Bev Qualheim has started a chapter in her area of southern Nevada, but the hats are to be distributed across northern America. If you would like to read more about it, here is the link that also includes the address where you can send your finished hats. She is accepting all sizes up to the end of December, and I know some of you can whip hats up in the blink of an eye. So, consider this a challenge from me.....in fact, I see a contest here!

Knit or crochet your way to a prize from me personally....the one who sends the most to Bev and puts pictures of them up on either Ravelry, your blog, or emails them to me, leaves a comment here letting me know, and links my blog to theirs will win a prize. I'm not sure what it will be yet, but I promise it will be a fantastic gift for all your efforts and gratitude!!!! Now, this also calls for a deadline, so let's say the hats need to be postmarked by.....hmmmmm...I know! my birthday is November 10th, so we will use that date. That gives you plenty of time to get those needles or hook moving, don't you think?!


Have a great day and I hope you will find a way to 'pay it forward'!

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow!!! Thank you so very much!!!! Just wanted to add they can be loom knitted hats too as long as they are warm and nice. :) Thank you knitnurd!!!

    When people send the hats to me maybe they could put a note in that they saw this on KNITNURDS blogspot!! And be sure to include an email address so I can let you know when they arrive! I'm so excited. :)

    Bev
    http://www.bevscountrycottage.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome Bev! I know it's a tough time of year for knitters and crocheters to do charity as we all become so busy with our own lives during the holidays, but just one hat or scarf as you're doing your own holiday needlework would make a huge impact if we as a whole community contributed! :=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Has anyone responded to this contest?
    HUGS
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had one person getting a couple of hats together for me. I guess it's a hard time of year with everyone trying to get to their holiday knitting? And yet, this is the time of year donations are most needed! I will keep trying and also plan to knit more myself. :=)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the Chapter Area Volunteer for Salt Lake City, UT and I agree that we need more help. I am knitting/crocheting about 40 hours a week. I have a box going for Bev, which she will pick up when she comes to SLC in December. I don't know how to do a link in my blog to yours, so that would leave me out - LOL Besides that, I am knitting mostly for the homeless and the Dream Center here in SLC.
    Thank you though for helping out with the project. By the way - I also joined Handmade Especially for You. Making those scarves (specially the key hole scarf) is a nice break from making hats.

    Hugs
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Chris! Consider yourself entered for the contest. How many hats have you done for this project so far?

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by!