Monday, September 7, 2009

What's not to love?

Is this weather just not fantastic here in northern CA?! I'm going to have Scooter pull all of my Fall decor out of the attic today. I might need to spruce up my wreath a bit, but it would be a good time to do it with all the sales out there today. I also hope to get to the front flower beds and prepare them for the upcoming season. Roses need to be pruned, old blooms picked off the azaleas, a few dead leaves need to be cut off my cyclamen, as well as cutting back some out of control spider plants. First things first though...the house needs straightening up or I just don't feel like I've done my share of duties around the place. I know, I'm just old school that way....

We have had a pretty nice and long weekend. We were going to go out of town on Saturday, but then remembered, duh, it's a holiday weekend and probably best we just stay home. I mean, why be in traffic if you don't have to, right? On Saturday, I ventured out and went to Michael's to pick up some beads, but I'll tell you more about that later. On my way, I was sitting at a red light at Galleria and E. Roseville Pkwy (for you out of towners, that's a major intersection where I live). When the light turned green for me to make my left turn onto Galleria, I was several cars back. Just after I crossed over the crosswalk, the light turned yellow on me and the guy in front of me was taking his sweet time about completing his turn. The light did turn red as I was completing my turn, and once I got through it, I hear a short siren and look up to see lights in my rear view mirror. Busted!, so I turned into a shopping center parking lot out of traffic. The officer came up to my door and told me he stopped me for running the red light. I told him it was yellow when I started through it and he said "no, it wasn't". I said, "yes, it was" and he said "ma'am, I have a digital photo of you". The smart ass in me said "well, bring it on!", and it was at that point, I thought it best to not argue anymore and start doing some fast apologizing. So I removed my sunglasses (hey, body language is everything!) and made eye contact with him as I started promising to never, ever, let it happen again. He proceeded to warn me that several people have died in that intersection and I kept reassuring him that I didn't want to become a statistic nor make anyone else one for that matter. He informed me a citation would cost me a little over $500. OUCH!!! Surprise....he told me not to do it again, told me to have a nice day, and walked back to his car. WHEW WEEEEEE!!!! You can bet I will never be tempting those yellow lights anymore!!

Now, back to Michael's.... I picked up quite a loot bag full of gorgeous beads to do some beading and jewelry making. I'm not real experienced at it, but I've done it before. While I was looking at the beads and trying to make my selection, a lady and I began talking and she told me she has been doing it for about 15 years... and makes copycat designer pieces that sell for over $100. at Macy's. She has offered to teach me how and I think I'm going to take her up on it!! I'd love to do some pieces for Christmas to maybe compliment some knitted pieces. We shall see...
I finished my Aestlight shawl and what a fun knit that was! I was going to give it as a Christmas gift, but the selfish knitter in me told me to keep it for myself. I can always knit another one. I've been working on a Noro beret that is almost finished. I LOVE the colorway and see myself wearing this one quite a bit!!
I think I want to maybe knit up a quick little shrug and beret next for my little 9 month old granddaughter, Maya. My step-daughter, Jamie, sent me an email the other day with a video of Maya taking her first steps last month. OMG, talk about adorable!!! Scooter and I sat and watched it for what seemed like a hundred times. Then we started talking about possibly making a trip again this year to Denver for her first birthday in a couple of months. We just have to wait and see how things go with Scooter's job...it's always rather 'iffy' when the snow begins.

That's pretty much how our weekend has gone so far...just spending time together and doing those little impulsive things like going out for dinner twice. We did grill an excellent dinner together last night though and then cozied up to watch a movie with some wine. One of those nice mellow evenings...knitting, wine, a movie, my honey (not in that order)....life is great!!!!

12 comments:

  1. I'd say you had a great weekend, and the scarf is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shawl came out so pretty!! I love it! I think I will make one for myself, maybe in red or something :-) I want to make the Mara Shawl first. Oh.... As far as the red light thing, he cant give you a ticket as long as your front tire have passed the double white lines at the begining of the intersection while it was still yellow. You can be in the middle when it turns red and not get a ticket :-) It is nice having a family member that is a retired cop :-) :-)

    When you are done with your yard you can come and do mine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks on that red light thing Courtney! He said that the lights are set with a one second delay before oncoming traffic lights turn green for them to go. In any case, I guess I should've tried to stop and you can bet I will from now on!

    Yep, yep, yep, I love my new shawl and wearing it as a kerchief style wrap! I see more in my future for sure!!!

    I'll pass on the offer to do your yard...mine will take a while..it's out of control! :=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Linda...we have had a wonderful weekend and are sorry to see it come to an end. However, we are already making plans for next weekend!!! :=)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooo.. the power of a good stare down and body language... You go girl.

    Well you know I love your Aestlight.

    First steps are so amazing.. you are blessed.

    Well Happy Happy day to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol...well, not exactly a stare down, but he was easy on the eyes! :=)

    It was so fun watching our little Maya take her first steps...I'll have to see if I can get the video on here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing wrong with a bit of eye flirt (sorry contact) with a man in uniform who is easy on the eye. Almost worht a ticket. Whoah - I did say ALMOST worth it!

    The scarf looks gorgeous. I don't blaame you for keeping it. I would too. I have to argue with myself every Christmas when I make a gift and then love it too much to part with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're always so productive, and here I sit like a slug! The scarf is beautiful.

    Good for you on avoiding that ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol, Jan....there was an incident at the restaurant we knit at the other night and I think he might have been one of the officers attending to a young runaway. They had my car blocked in and there are only 2 or 3 just like mine in this town, so I was thinking he might have recognized me from that.

    I do love my new scarf...it's an absolute dream on! I want one in every color!!!! :=)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whew, I've done nearly the same thing so many times! I'm trying to be very careful about the yellows since I had a violation earlier this year and paid a hefty fine and traffic school.

    Something in the air these days (you know what I mean). It's definately time to migrate and shift our thoughts toward change ... get the Fall things out of their summer storage and out on display.

    Let me know when you want to bead a little, I'm a newbie too, and we can share our creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Rita!!! What is that saying about idle hands? I just can't stand to sit still!
    I do love my new scarf...that Malabrigo is worth every penny of it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laurie, isn't this the most wonderful of times?!! Scooter and I were both just giddy about everything last night...HE wanted to hang the wreath on the door and that's so not like him. Fine by me!!! :=)

    Let me know what your schedule is, and we can work around it for some beading...I'd love it!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by!