Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The ants come marchin' in

Hurrah? Uh, yeah, I don't think so. With the colder weather coming in though, I guess ants are inevitable. They might get in my house, but they will be met with a not so pleasant welcome. The wall in the picture divides our sun room from the kitchen, which is where we have been storing Maggie's chow. It seems my ants prefer Iams Puppy Proactive Health, and after invading the entire bag, they made their way to her water dish. It would be another couple of hours before Scooter came in from work, so I remembered what my friend Linda said she does when she's invaded. I grabbed the bottle of Windex Zep's Glass Cleaner, and began my assault. Maybe they should rename that stuff to Zap's. I don't know if it just drowns the bugs, or if there is something in the recipe that suffocates them. In any case, Maggie wasn't real impressed with them. Nor am I. I'm pleased to say they have vacated the premises! I will still take precautions to prevent this again, so I'm going to buy some sort of containers today to put both Maggie's and Snick's chow in.

I got a pretty good start last night on the little hat that matches the baby sweater. Three more repeats of the cable pattern and I will start decreasing for the crown and then bind off. I'm anxious to get this set finished so I can continue on with other projects on my needles. Halloween isn't even here yet, and I'm already beginning to feel the Christmas Crunch. That in itself is odd, since I really don't do that much gift knitting. I do want to finish Scooter's two pairs of socks I told myself I would make him. His birthday is so close to our anniversary and Christmas, so I'm still not sure which one I will knit them for. It sure would be a lot easier if he didn't have size 11 feet, but I guess being on the tall side, he would look pretty ridiculous with size 9s. Either that, or standing and walking would be awfully peculiar for him. I'll just consider myself fortunate that he hasn't asked for a handknit sweater....yet.
This morning, I'm also resisting that malady known as 'startitis'. My shopping cart on Ravelry is filling up with patterns I want to start NOW. I'm hoping I have the self-discipline to finish my other projects first though. Wonder what happened to my monogamous knitting?
I almost forgot something else I wanted to show you. Did you know they make little doggie jeans now? Although rather pricey, I couldn't resist. Maggie has resisted hard and fast...there was no way she was going to have any of that nonsense. She knows better than to bite me, so she intimidated me with baring her gums and using a very ferocious snarling growl. It worked. They are being returned to the store today. I was only able to fasten them around her belly for a very quick picture. Dachshunds are such stubborn little beasts, but I love my Maggie! The day we bought her those denims, she also got a very nice red cabled sweater to go with them. It doesn't fit her the same as her pink one, and she managed to chew a hole in the turtleneck within an hour of wearing it. Sure am glad I didn't knit that one. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to darn it, but it concerns me that her left front leg is constantly slipping out of the armhole, making it pretty uncomfortable for her. No worries, she won't be left alone with that sweater on.


Take care and remember to "be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind." (Christian D. Larson)




4 comments:

  1. those darn dreaded ants. I am on the defense and getting ready to go to war with them myself once they make their appearance in my home. Once they did that with a bag of cat food, I put it outside in the cold and they all left (I was able to save the brand new bag of food).

    The hat looks so soft and warm. Your doing a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nicole! I'll finish up that little hat today and get started on the little socks. Thinking about throwing in a little pair of mitts too.
    That's what I did...I threw the bag of dog food out into the backyard, and now Maggie keeps snacking on it. lol Scooter says ants have a lemon taste to them. He got that off Discovery channel I think where that survival dude eats bugs. Too much tv! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, we have been having ant issues ever since Summer hit. We don't see them in the Winter. But they are still around! Eating the dog food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are the worst, aren't they Angela?! I hate to use chemicals because of our furry babies..even the Zep bothered me, but I had to do something.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by!