Thursday, November 4, 2010

The drugs made me do it

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. I can't be held responsible for anything that comes out dorky sounding here today. Here's my story: When I was ten years old, I was diagnosed with a belly full of polyps. The doctors said I more than likely had had them since birth. I'm just thankful my parents were observant enough to know that something wasn't right when I would complain of a tummy ache and couldn't use the bathroom, because just four short years after that, my dad passed away from colon cancer. He was one of four children, and all but one died from the same thing, including my grandmother, their mother. Medicine has changed tremendously over the past 46 years since my surgery. People in the medical field now look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I had major surgery for it, because nowadays, the polyps are clipped out during the colonoscopy and you're sent home an hour or two later. How awesome is that?!!? Needless to say, I stay on top of what seems to be an inherent gene and am screened regularly.
So now you know the rest of the story from yesterday.... why I was housebound. You begin prepping the day before. It's no picnic, I won't lie, but it's over with before you know it and then you get to come home and be waited on hand and foot! :=)
Scooter and I were at the hospital by eight this morning and I was taken back to my room maybe a whole five minutes after arriving. Now folks, I gotta tell ya...my biggest anxiety comes from that damn blood pressure cuff (I bruise so easily), and insertion of the IV needle. This medical team was above awesome in reassuring me and taking good care of me. They were willing to accomodate me in any way they could, so they put the cuff on my forearm instead which I could tolerate better than on the upper arm. I also have yet to have anyone stick me and not blow right on thru the wall of the vein. Most times, I walk out looking like a human pincushion. If you have never had this happen to you, let me tell you what it feels like. It feels like fire coursing through your veins..it's awful!!! In the past, when I try to tell my situation about tiny narrow veins, the nurse is going to prove to me that they are the best in all the 28 years they have been practicing and are going to get it on the first try. They seem to become a bit agitated with ME...yeah, I know, go figure. When I told the nurse today for the eightyninthmillion time, she actually thanked me for telling her and came back with a needle they use for infants. She got it on the first try and I told her I wanted to kiss her!!!! This team made me the most comfortable of any procedure I have had to have done!

We will be celebrating tonight after the anesthesia wears off with some mac 'n cheese. I know, sounds funny, huh? After you are coming off of a two day fast though, you want to start out with something light, and besides that, I love the stuff. I am very happy to say that I have been given a clean bill of health yet again. No wait, not just happy, Scooter and I both are ecstatic!!! Since I have been clean for 46 years, my doctor has also given me the all clear to wait 5 years before the colonoscopy. WOOOHOOOO!!!!

Any knitting that will take place today will probably be this evening sometime when I'm fully hydrated again, and hopefully, I will have some fiber related news for you tomorrow. For now, I'm tipping my glass to good health and happiness!!!

2 comments:

  1. That is wonderful news! Mac & cheese sounds great because it's so comforting. My mom hates the prep before the actual day at the hospital. I am hoping this year, she won't have to go through it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Angela! My hubby took me out to breakfast in my drug induced stupor, a nd at least I could get down the most delicious pumpkin muffin ever! I'm looking forward to Mac 'n Cheese for dinner, but I will miss my veggies to go with..we love steamed veggies with every meal!!
    The prep is the worst of it all, so I know what your mom goes through!!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by!