Back on topic....after we came home from the vet, I began crocheting the 15 squares (yesterday's post) I volunteered to do for Ellen Gormley's group on Ravelry, called Go Crochet! The group chose one of her designs called Sunny Spread, which can be downloaded as a PDF from Coats and Clarks website. I'm just going to cut to the chase on this one....I LOVE this pattern!!! Not only is it quick and easy, it's very fun to work up!!! The group chose to have it worked up in Caron's Simply Soft, and while I'm no fan at all of this yarn, I can understand why. There is no dye lot and it's inexpensive, making it affordable and convenient for all who want to participate. This afghan has been designated to be offered to a teen, so the laundering for it will also be quite easy. Did I say this square was fun? The next thing I knew, in between cooking dinner, tending to a sick puppy, and watching a movie with Scooter, I already had the total of 15. I didn't want to stop! When I got up yesterday morning, all I had to do was weave in the ends. My kids call me the "crochet machine"....lol...they got it from their dad that used to call me that too. I've been crocheting so much all my life (45 years..since I was 12), that it just comes very natural for me. I love it as much as I love my knitting! I also love doing charity work, and now that I'm retired, I count all my blessings by paying it forward. I love my life!!!
Yesterday, my daughter came for the day, and since she had an errand to run, my little grandson and my oldest granddaughter spent the day with me. While the little guy watched Spongebob, Alex and I perused the internet doing some research. We finally got the pattern ordered for the extra special dress she needs from the Civil War era. I'm actually quite excited to get started sewing on it! I'm going to set up a designated area in my sunroom for my sewing table, ironing board, and hopefully, a dress form. I realized this morning that we forgot to take her measurements, but that's okay, I won't need them until the pattern arrives. She is somewhere between a size 6 and 8, so I've estimated the skirt part of her dress will require approximately 6 yards of fabric. It's got about five flounces going down the length of it, so I think her and my daughter will be looking at fabrics today. I'm guessing this dress is going to probably take me around 40 hours to complete. Not too bad, as I have until the end of March. Pictures to come as we progress.
I've nearly finished with my scarf and once I do so, I have decided I think I will go back to working on my Oregon vest, so that I can have it done in time for Stitches. Lots to be done in the next four weeks, so I'll leave this post as it is, and hope that y'all have a wonderful week!
I love that picture of Maggie!!! ;-)
ReplyDeletePoor Maggie...what a rough time you've had! Praying you recover quickly snookums!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Courtney and Dawn! She has had a bit of a rough go of it, but I think the worst is behind her now. Or at least I hope so!!
ReplyDeleteIt's so hard seeing your pet that is part of your family, not feel good. They can't tell you what's wrong or where they hurt..such a helpless feeling!
You are FABULOUS DARLING!! Love your squares..bummer about the yarn...but yep...it makes sense... for all to participate and for the care.
ReplyDeleteGlad Miss Mag is back to doing great.
You are so accomplished with your wonderfully decorated home, your darling hubby, you knitting and crocheting and being a grandmom....
You done good woman!!!!!!!!
Oh gosh, Toni..gush gush! :=) Thank you for such kind words!!!
ReplyDeleteYour pup is the cutest!!
ReplyDeleteGet that Oregon vest finished! I kept putting mine off too but then decided just to focus on it and get it done. I love it but it is too tight under the arms but I can still wear it. Steeking is still not for me!
Thank you, Diana!!! I'm probably going to be picking up my Oregon vest sometime today in fact. I'm anxious to try steeking...hopefully, I'll be ok with it!
ReplyDeletesending much love to Maggie!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Wendy!
ReplyDeleteSo glad Maggie is feeling better. Tummy aches make us all a little miserable.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much, Dee! She is actually quite spunky today, but the vet said to give her 14 days to be completely healed. The sun was out today for a bit, so she loved racing as fast as she could around the backyard. She's so funny to watch! lol
ReplyDeleteCrochet machine is a better nickname than the one my son gce me - Spider. He said I looked like I was making a web!
ReplyDeleteYou are always making something. Good luck with your sewing. That is something that I never quite mastered. I used to try years ago but not lately.
Well done with the squares.