Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Queen of our hearts...part one



As promised, after nearly three months of teasing you with bits and pieces about a dress I was making for my oldest granddaughter, I can now tell you the why for's and wheres." A" lives in a small mountain town where a 54 pound gold nugget was found in 1859. Up to that time during the Gold Rush era, it was the largest piece ever found. The celebration of it began in 1959, and has continued ever since. Many events take place over the course of four days, one of them being the Miss Gold Nugget pageant. This is a big deal up on the 'Ridge' in Butte County, California. The young woman has to be a junior in high school, has to obtain a sponsor and an escort, submit a portfolio, and create a dress of the 1850-1899 period. Each girl was allotted $125. for their dress, which was definitely challenging at today's prices of fabric. They are judged on the historical accuracy of their costume, the quality of their portfolios, their poise and demeanor, and their appearance. With 45% of their score being placed on their dress, it's the most important. 

"A" decided in January, when the time came for the paperwork to be submitted, that she wanted to do this. We attended a dressmaking seminar at the local mercantile, poured over boxes of patterns that were available there, studied and took notes of the sample dresses on display, and the ideas began taking shape in her mind. My daughter (her mom) and I made suggestions, but ultimately, it was up to her to decide what accessories she wanted, and how she wanted to look. Her and I sat for many hours at the computer, researching the history of costumes for the time period, and finally, she made her sketch of the dress she would wear. Many more hours were spent researching pattern companies and what was offered, that would match the closest of her design. Next, the hunt was on for the most accurate reproduction fabric for the time period, and where we would be able to purchase it. The pattern she chose was that of an afternoon tea dress, and the only accessories she wanted were some antique gloves, and a hand crocheted reticule, or drawstring handbag. While I won't say the name of the pattern company we purchased the pattern(s) from, I will tell you it was the worst pattern I have ever seen, therefore, definitely NOT for the inexperienced. A few modifications were made to get the look she wanted, and "A" was very pleased with it!

We were told at the seminar mentioned above, that past queens had always been in a brown dress. The seamstress advised us that for some reason, the judges liked the color brown. It made sense to us, given the time period, that women who lived up on the ridge had to deal with a lot of dust. "A" chose two reproduction prints, a faint stripe for the bodice, and a calico print for the skirt. The 1853 style bodice was a fan front (pleats), that I added boning to at the front darts, side seams, and on each side of the back between the side seam and the opening, as well as piping trim to at the neckline, the dropped shoulder seams, the hems of the sleeves, and the basque style waistline where I connected the bodice to the skirt. The sleeves were pagoda style with undersleeves that could be removed if needed, and I added a wide lace to at the wrist. The back was fastened with 8 tiny old fashioned tiger's eye look buttons, and two hook and eyes at the back opening of the skirt. The skirt consisted of five flounces on top of an underskirt, and because of "A's" height, I added three inches of length to the underskirt, which the pattern company advised couldn't be done. Yes, it meant having to adjust the flounces, measure and remeasure numerous times, but I managed to accomplish what needed to be done. I added buckram to the bottom 12 inches of the skirt for stability. This was also done to prevent the boning of the hoop skirt underneath showing through her skirt. The only undergarment required for authenticity was a hoop skirt. Her accessories were kept to a minimum like she wanted, wearing only a pair of antique gloves, a pair of cameo earrings I had as a young girl and passed down to my daughter, and a locket that hung from a goldtone bow that her mother received as a child for a birthday present, which she pinned at the neckline. The entire outfit came together so beautifully, and so authentic looking; "A" looked stunning!

On the evening of the pageant, I arrived (Scooter was so upset he couldn't get off work) early at my daughter's house where things were a little tense. "A" had to be at the auditorium two hours early, and my daughter was working on her hair. She had twenty minutes, so I told her to go get ready and I would do hair. "A" had even done research on the hair styles and wanted two braids crossing over each other and tucked under on each side at the nape of her neck. After I did that, I added baby's breath and she looked perfect! Out the door to go get dressed at the auditorium, with the other contestants.

I have a couple of appointments to tend to today, so part two will come in the next post.



11 comments:

  1. It just looks beautiful Deedee. Wonderful job. You are so talented. I wish I could sew like that. I hope she won. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noticed that in every post it seems to be all about you How you travel hours each way for fittings How your expert sewing abilities were so necessary for your granddaughters dress to be perfect How sad, I say. Your granddaughter is lovely but her grandmother is full of herself and she deserves much better Sorry to say this but maybe you should look at a few of your posts and see how you go on and on about yourself It's very evident to others Hope your grandchildren have others in the family they can count on for real love and affection

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear Deedee it seems like you have another "one of those people posting.."... one that has little clue on how much you do for charity, your community and your family. Nor do they know how many times you offer your time, love and possessions to others. You are so selfless, helpful and motivating to so many. I happen to like all the details of your blog.. after all it is about you.. aka YOUR blog. I come her to read about your knitting, your sewing, your crafts...

    Maybe if the above poster doesn't like your blog, then they should just NOT read it. That would be the easiest thing to do. Sounds like a bit of envy, or that she who shall not be named is at it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful dress. Cannot wait to hear how the crowning turned out.
    What a wonderful way to spend time with your grand daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh... forgot to add.. let's see two real life posters with actual internet identity send you praise, and then some coward anonymous (not really) person comes along and tries to wreck the party. Sad indeed.....incognito?? I think not!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deedee, the dress is incredible! I am so impressed by your sewing ability--and your love for your family. We've only met "in real life" once, but I remember how much you talked about your family, and my granddaughter "A" absolutely loves you!

    Your "A" has grown so much, and she's so gorgeous. I think that it's so sweet that the two of you were able to spend so much time together working on the dress of her dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for such lovely comments!! Don't be too hard on GinaHathaway53. She's actually to be pitied. She can be found as BUHBYE on Ravelry posting frequently in two groups, The Thankful Group, and get this..the Sisters Crocheted and Knitted in Christ! I guess she forgets I know how to match up her IP address with her new names she comes up with. She also tried creating another sock puppet last week on Ravelry, using the name DeedeeDoodles. Slick people that they are though, they caught it and deleted it for her. The sick part of it is she always likes leaving me subtle little hints of who she is, such as the 53 after this alias. She knows that's the year I was born. Clever, huh? All I can do anymore is shake my head and laugh, as she tries to put on the act of being so sanctimonious. I just can't imagine the level of jealousy and envy that courses through her veins. Life must be just swell for her and that ex-husband of mine. And yes, Buhbye, my kids and grandkids do have an entire family that loves them, even though their father/grandfather has deserted them. Truly his loss!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a fantastic job! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I have known you for over thirty years and she is so far from the truth. You are the most loving and giving person I know with your family, friends and for your community. You always take the time to teach those around you. This in its self is a true gift, your time. I have never found you full of your self as she states or wanting recognition. Do you deserve recognition for all that you do? You bet you do!
    I am so honored to have you as my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Kathy! I am as equally honored to call you "friend"!!!! This person doesn't know me which makes it all so laughable.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by!