Thursday, May 5, 2011

Queen of our hearts..part two

We arrived at the Performing Arts Center where the pageant was being held, and I was glad to see that my daughter had reserved seats for us right up in the front row. I love small town festivals like these! The "orchestra" was a local rock-a-billy band with the lead being my daughter's plant science instructor last year at the local college. You just never know what other talents people possess. She was very good and the song choices were just plain good fun. In this small Sierra mountain town, there is really not much for the local kids to do, so the majority of them take dance lessons. Anything from tap/ballet, to country swing, to ballroom, they all know how to dance and are quite good at it. What fun entertainment it was when some of them jumped up to the front of the auditorium and began an impromptu dance session until it was time for the pageant to get under way!


Each contestant was brought out on stage and introduced, and their costume was described in full detail, including who made their dress, and styled their hair. "A" truly glowed as she glided across the stage. The next part was to show a small demonstration of their ballroom dancing skills as a recording of Ann Murray was crooning, "Can I Have This Dance?" What fun this was to watch!! Following this was a brief intermission, and a chance to chit chat a bit with "A's" paternal grandmother whom I hadn't seen for a while. Next, the comical emcee, a very nice gentleman, announced it was time for each girl to answer a specific question they drew out of a hat. "A's" question she drew was "who do you admire most and why?". She LOVES Audrey Hepburn, so that was a no-brainer for her. She answered it with "Audrey Hepburn because she was such an elegant fashion icon of her time, and an advocate of children". After this segment, the evening was coming to a close, and the much anticipated envelope was opened by the other emcee (a very nice woman that described the girl's dresses), and read by the gentleman. There were four runners up, and the queen, none of which "A" took the title of. I was so proud of the integrity she displayed, and the way she kept a smile on her face the whole time, even though we knew she was disappointed. As she made her way off the stage and down to the front of the auditorium, she was stopped many times by women telling her how shocked they were that she didn't take the title of Queen. The other contestants admitted they were very surprised as well. Later, the next day, we find out that it had already been pre-determined who would take home new sashes, as well as the tiara. We thought it was rather odd that sitting behind the judges, we noticed none of them were making any notes. Nonetheless, "A" had a wonderful time, and as it turned out, all of the contestants received the same publicity. The next day, Friday, the girls, along with their escorts, all visited the local elementary schools, and entertained residents of local nursing facilities with their ballroom dancing skills, in complete costume.




On Saturday, Scooter and I drove back up to xxxxxx, and watched the parade. Each contestant rode with their escort on the back of a vintage convertible Mustang, with the exception of the queen, who was on a float in a giant gold pan tipped up on its side. She looked small, but was so cute! After the parade, local townspeople and visitors alike made their way over to the museum who was hosting various activities throughout the rest of the afternoon. A deep pit bbq, another band providing music, and you could try your hand at gold panning if you wanted. Prior to the parade, the E Clampus Vitus, or better known as the "clampers", sponsored a 'donkey derby'. We did not make it to that as it's held very early in the morning, and getting up at o'dark thirty on a Saturday morning to make the trip to the mountains is not Scooter's idea of a day off from work. After the bbq at the museum, we then went over to the local park where a festival was under way that included a craft fair, lots more food, and just some plain 'ol relaxing in the shade under the trees. I also want to add here what an awesome choice "A" made in choosing one of her best friends as her escort. It is obvious "M" respects her, and has a lot of fun with her. A real gentleman always!
  

On Sunday, there is a horse fair, which I'm not even sure what that consists of, but I know "A" had to be there in costume again, of course.
Her dress has now been retired for the time being, and I'm not sure what she plans to do with it. I do know she said she is keeping it. I have no idea how a young lady from that time period managed to keep her dress clean! The bottom of those girl's dresses was filthy after the four days of wear. I have to say all of these girls were wonderful to watch and I loved seeing the camaraderie between them!

I couldn't be more proud of all the hard work and dedication "A" put into this experience! She had so much fun, and I'm truly honored she asked me to be a part of it. She will now focus on a far greater achievement for the next school year. She was one of I believe, only five kids in her high school to be accepted into a college program where she will begin her college courses in her senior year next fall. How did she grow up so fast?!!! She will always be the Queen of our hearts, and as she put it to me last week, "I am still the apple of your eye, grandma!" Truer words never spoken!!

1 comment:

  1. Her grace shows.
    My daughter was in pagents when she was younger. It takes courage to keep the smile on when you have not been chosen. Good for her!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by!