Sunday, January 27, 2013

52 weeks of happy - 4/52

We had a real cold snap for a few days here in northern California, so one of my favorite times was sharing some heat with my best friend, my husband. We bought one of those outdoor fire pits last year, but never got the chance to use it until now. What a treat it was to just sit and relax outdoors. It felt like we were camping! The only thing missing were the ingredients for making s'mores! (sorry the pic is a bit dark...still getting used to my new camera's settings)


Most of you already know that I volunteer twice a week at a senior care facility teaching a 90 year old (she will be 91 in two weeks!) how to crochet. Between last May and Christmas, she crocheted SEVEN afghans, six of them for great-grandchildren, and one for her daughter who recruited me!  Three weeks ago, she decided she wanted to learn to knit, so the following week, I took her some knitting needles and a skein of some beautiful yarn by The Great Adirondack Co. I showed her the knit stitch twice, yes, just twice, and she took off!!! The woman amazes me! She loves it and said her only regret is that she didn't take up knitting many years ago. She is making herself a lovely spring/summer scarf and it makes me so happy watching her become happy. She told me the other day that if she could knit herself a sweater, she would die of happiness. I told her, "let's not get in a hurry to do that!", and we both laughed. Here she is in motion...isn't she lovely?


I'm continuing my destashing of dishcloth cotton, and knitted another Grandmother's Favorite, plus started another one. This is the easiest pattern to bust out in a couple of hours. I want to try to use up all of my scraps, so I may end up with dishcloths that are two-toned. I'm okay with that! The three I knitted last week ended up going to live with my daughter, so I'm going to knit me some now.

 


The week ended with me bringing home two new skeins of Malabrigo, both in Arroyo, which is a sport weight. One in colorway Chircas, and the other is English Rose (on the left). I think the English Rose is going to be another Zuzu's Petals, this time for me! The other skein I bought (which I already wound and is the one on the right in the pic) is Madeline Tosh Merino Light in the colorway Foxglove. I used to grow Foxgloves and I absolutely love the colors, so I am on the prowl for just the right shawl pattern to turn it into. If you have any suggestions, please leave me a comment!

 
I hope you had a fabulous week!!

p.s. I almost forgot...last week, I said I would share a picture of the finished afghan I crocheted for my step-daughter. I'm so pleased with how lovely it turned out! So, here it is...

3 comments:

  1. 90 and learning to knit? Never too old, eh! If she's adventurous, I bet she could knit herself a sweater :0) I'm with you on the dishcloths - I don't know why I have so much of that yarn, but I do. I like the Mason Dixon washcloth pattern for using up '2 tone' scraps.
    The crochet afghan for your daughter is so pretty, well done :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Debs! I will definitely have to check out that Mason Dixon cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post all around! I'm making Grandma's Fave dishcloths now too, love them! The crochet afghan, gorgeous! I'll rummage through patterns on Ravelry, shawls are my love~how about Foxglove? http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/foxglove-shawlette

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by!