Somehow, throughout the years, we managed to slip back into the habit of paper napkins, and I'm thinking perhaps it had something to do with the fact that those linen napkins were not permanent press. It was just easier to grab a paper napkin, or even a paper towel if you were in a hurry, because honestly, who has time to iron cloth napkins?
Through Molly's blog and now a tutorial she has included, I have been released from that thought of having to iron napkins, but still be able to bring them out of the closet, and actually use them (thank you Molly!). She did what is called the Ombre technique, and even though she ironed hers after she finished dyeing them, she especially likes how they look un-ironed since the "crinkly" look gives the color more depth and texture. Last Sunday, we had Kelly and her family over for dinner, and I brought the cloth napkins out. Paper towels just seem so tacky, not to mention the trees we destroy just to have them. You know, carbon footprint and all that. I now plan to go buy oodles of cloth napkins, or sew some, and would love to give Molly's brilliant idea a try! I did the laundry a couple of days ago, and washed the cloth napkins we used. I have about three sets, but I loved using my Fall-ish ones when my family came over. They came out of the dryer a bit wrinkly, and as I was folding them, I shrugged my shoulders and thought they were good to go. According to Molly, the certified interior designer, no ironing necessary!
My knitting, spinning, and ukulele practice have all taken a back seat for a bit, but when you wake up to weather like this, it's like magic, and it all jumps back into my lap.
Knowing it's not supposed to last for long, I still get excited and get that feeling where I want to walk around our home and light all the candles. It's still a bit warm to build a fire in the fireplace, but it is just around the corner. I get up pretty early in the morning, while it's still dark in fact. So this morning, I took my pups out to potty (even though they have a doggie door and can do it themselves), came back in and poured a cup of coffee, and sat down with my knitting in my lap. I'm happy to say I have finished the knitting portion on my little grandson's cardigan, and will now add the couture finishing to it. At some point today, I will also look for buttons for it and get those sewn on. With weather like this, it will be nice for him to have a little sweater to wear!
I hope you enjoy your day, as much as I know I will mine. Until next time....
Live well, laugh often, and love much!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment
I'm so glad you stopped by!