Sunday, April 27, 2014

The hills are alive

On Saturday, the local knitting guild I belong to (Camellia City Stockin'ettes), took a field trip to Lisa Souza Dyeworks. There were about 25 or 26 of us that Lisa was such a gracious hostess to, as she took us on a tour of her dying studio, explaining to us how she got started in the business, and some of her process how she achieves her beautiful yarns and fibers. It's an amazing venture and she has some of the most beautiful country around her. Of course, I might be a bit biased about that, since I was born in the same town. I don't think there were any of us who could resist making a purchase. I bought four skeins of Polwarth/Silk which is a DK weight in the colorway Violet... I plan to swatch with it tomorrow. I also bought a skein of her Deluxe Sock in the colorway Lime 'N Violet. I love the yardage Lisa gives you. The Polwarth/Silk is 400 yards, and the sock is 510 yards. I will definitely be buying more yarn from her! Not only is she generous with the yardage, but the yarn itself is quality, and her colors are beyond gorgeous!! After leaving Lisa's, we all stopped for lunch in town. I just love the quaintness of Placerville (think Thomas Kinkade), not to mention the history of "Hangtown". When I go through my baby pictures, I'm reminded of the stories my mom and dad told me of what it was like there in this little foothill mining town sixty years ago. My dad owned the only service station in town, during the time when you didn't pump your own gas. He and my mom would sometimes grab a bite to eat at their friend's diner on Main St., the only one there at the time. Times have certainly changed now. There's a Subway, several gas stations, and even a Starbuck's! It was such a great day to spend time at Lisa's, and then have lunch with a group of such wonderful women!!
Where the dying process takes place

Some roving just dyed
 
Lisa's view out the north side of her studio
 
Lovely ladies visiting and knitting.
 
In the last picture, do you see that little spinning wheel in the middle? Some of these ladies wanted to see how you spin, so I did a little demonstration for them. The wheel is a Majacraft, and they come from a small, family owned business in New Zealand. I'm in love and am seriously thinking about purchasing this wheel!!
 
I arrived home to find Scooter had finished our new portion of the patio we used to have a water fountain at. I'm so pleased with it, even though we couldn't find the same exact stones we used in the other part of the patio. It's okay though..they blend in well. We spent the rest of the day just talking, while I did the bind off on my shawl/kerchief I showed you in my last post. It's currently on the blocking board, and once I got it laid out, I decided to finish a dishcloth I started yesterday. I'm not sure if I will keep it for myself, or gift it to my daughter, but I know that both of us need more, so I'm sure there will be more to come.
 
The Age of Brass and Steam is a free Ravelry download. I did an extra repeat on mine to make it a little larger, but mostly to use up my handspun. I still have approx. 100 yards left though, so maybe a beret? I love how luxurious this feels, as well as the ever so subtle stripes in the yarn itself!

 
Nice little cloth, eh? It has lots of nubby texture to it, which is what I prefer in my dishcloths. The pattern name is Mini Cables and is found in the Leisure Arts booklet, Nifty Knit Dishcloths. I love all of the cloths in it, so it is my go-to booklet for cloth patterns.
 
Not a whole lot of spinning, but a little bit over the weekend. I decided to spin up some dark green merino wool that I've had for two years now. I originally bought it for practice, and I've decided that's what I'm going to do with it now too. It's been a long while since I've navajo plied, so I want to do some practicing with it.
 
More to come later...enjoy your week!!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by!