Friday, May 30, 2014

Transition with grace and sass!

Since my husband has been out on a job for the past couple of days, and knowing that my car needed the headlights checked for moisture (letter advising us of this), I took it upon myself to get it into the dealer yesterday. I'm not sure other dealerships do this, but my local one provides you with a free loaner, which is awesome, especially if you have a full day of errands like I did. I needed to get over to my LYS for a pair of needles, to the pet store for some cat food, to a hair salon to make an appointment, the gym, and to the mall. Somewhere in all of that, I managed to score a pedicure, and a stop at my local frozen yogurt shop for a snack lunch. Yeah, I know, not much protein there, but it was nice to sit and regroup while having something yummy, plus it seems to quench the appetite until dinner. While at the yogurt shop, there was an elderly lady sitting at the next table over from me. She was in pink from head to toe, and I wish I had asked her permission to take a photo of her so I could show you. She was the cutest thing ever. Tall and slender, with her white hair pulled back behind a headband so neatly, and hanging straight, she even refreshed her lipstick once she finished her yogurt. Even her lipstick and handbag was pink, now that I think about it! When she finished eating, and as she was passing by me, she smiled, and I commented on how lovely she looked in pink. We began a conversation and I learned that she lives in some senior apartments the next block over from the yogurt shop. We talked about her hair, and she said she has always worn it long and had no intentions of cutting it. I told her that I have one daughter that is always trying to get me to cut mine, and she told me not to if I like wearing it long. Of course, mine is quite a bit longer than hers...just past her shoulders, and mine is down to the middle of my back (I at least need a trim!). She is 85 years old, still drives, and told me she was sorry to have to go, but she needed to get to the gym. Wha wha what!??!!? She said she tries to go everyday and she loves to swim there. She evidently works up an appetite, because she had twice as much yogurt as I did. She was truly an inspiration, so I came home and got my bike out, as it's too cool right now to take a swim in our backyard pool and I'm not able right now to get to the gym as often as I'd like. A quick bike ride is doable. She was proof that you can transition into the "elderly category" gracefully, and attractively fit.



Knitting on my 'Bad Oyster' during my pedicure caused me to end up with more stitches than what my dpns could handle, which is what is supposed to happen, so I was finally able to transition it over to the circular needles I had purchased at the LYS earlier. This is the strangest looking knit I've ever seen, but I'm assured once the knitting is complete, it will all come together after it's steeked. I'm so glad I chose Malabrigo to knit it from...I just love the beautiful stitch definition, and the color is going to be amazing for this next fall.

 
In most places in the United States, it's graduation time. We are going to a grad party for the grandson of some dear friends of ours. Another instance of transitioning, as Drake makes his way into high school this next year. I hope it's a smooth and memorable phase for him!
 
p.s. My car got an excellent bill of health and was all shiny and clean when I picked it up at the end of the day!
 
I hope you have something fun planned for your weekend!
 
"Do what you love, love what you do, and always, always, do it with sass!" ~ Wendy (Silly Fru) of Sassy Pants Knitter Podcast
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by!