Saturday, June 7, 2014

Felix and his amazing coat

If you are a spinner of the fiber variety, live in California, and have never gone to Retzlaff Vineyards in Livermore to spin, make note of it for next year!! I met up with my friend Tracy and went for my second year in a row today, to spin among the grapes. It is always such an amazing time, and it's so beautiful there! I learned how to buy my first fleece, and promptly took it over to Shari of Morro Fleece Works to be washed, carded and processed into pin drafting. I can't hardly wait to get "Felix" back so I can start spinning his coat. Felix is a Lincoln/Corriedale sheep and produced such a lovely 4.5 pounds worth of wool. The lanolin in it was amazing and made my hands incredibly soft!!!
This is a very fun day hosted by Treadles to Threads Spinners Guild, of Walnut Creek.

My sweet friend Tracy in the foreground with the glasses on her head.
 
I don't get much spinning done because I'm fascinated with how many wheels are there, and the different kinds. I love watching everyone spin on them. I met a lovely gentleman named Tim, who was there with his partner, Carson. Today was Tim's very first time to spin, so of course, I gave him some sage advice..."just have fun, the rest will come!!" Each year I've been to this, I meet some of the nicest and knowledgeable people, and then of course, there are friends I already know (like Tracy) from other venues. There were five podcasters there, that I know, and Dr. Gemma was still trying to talk me into coming to her fiber retreat in southern California in October. I would so love to, since I don't get to go to my knitting guild's retreat in October at Lake Tahoe.
 
 
Oh, and wine...did I mention there was wine??? Tracy and I did a little tasting, and I meant to go back and buy a bottle at the end of the day, and totally forgot! Here's why....you get to buy raffle tickets, 6 for $5., and the raffle is held towards the end of the day. I bought 12 tickets, and ended up winning this very cute project bag filled with Blue Faced Leicester, hand dyed with beautiful colors. I also scored a DVD called Spinners Toolbox, which is by Judith Mackenzie, the spinning guru herself!!!
 
 
I'm already looking forward to next year....and in case you're wondering, I did get a majority of my green merino spun up. Just so I can get it off my bobbin and stash list and move on to some heavenly fibers that seem to follow me home.
 
A collection of little tractors and a go kart, on the winery grounds
 
Where the raffle is held from. Would also make for a lovely wedding area!
 
Wonderful tasting room!!
 
'Till we meet again, my friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by!