Thursday, September 4, 2014

Colors and smells of fall

Fall is my all time favorite season of the year. I love everything about it...the smells, the colors, the chill in the air, visits to pumpkin patches, homemade chili and cornbread made from scratch, and even though I haven't been in years, I love to camp during this time of year too. I have some fond memories of camping on my birthday(s) in November. My ex husband and I had a travel trailer, and if by chance it rained, our family would just stay inside and play cards or games, until it was all clear again. If it did rain, it left the most delicious scent in the air, and I devoured all that I could! Most of the time you were protected though by the huge canopy the pine trees formed.
My current husband isn't a real big camper...he prefers the Hilton or Holiday Inn (you get the idea), and we have a favorite little rustic hotel in the mountains near Lake Tahoe. I'm good with that, so long as I can be outdoors during daylight hours.

And.....one of the best parts about fall and being outdoors in it....handknit garments and accessories!!! Have you ever tried to predict what colors would be "in" for a season, so that you can be trendy like everyone else? Or do you just go with what your gut tells you and choose your colors according to what is appealing to you at the time? I have been out shopping in the past couple of weeks and tried to pay more attention to what colors were being showcased for the fall, and they seemed to coincide with what I was picking out for myself...miracles do happen!!

I seem to be favoring the amber colors including burnt oranges, along with purples, and greens...more the avocado shades of green. Red is still on my radar too, but more of a deeper barn red, maybe even a burgundy. It was only natural for me to go stash shopping this morning to see if I had anything with a fall flavor to it, and lo and behold, as soon as I uncovered it, I heard the trumpets sound...Madeline Tosh Pashmina in the Nutmeg colorway!!! I only have two skeins, which actually, now that I think about it, would be enough for a shrug (720 yards), or a hat and cowl. I am so happy to have found this yummy goodness in my stash!!! I originally bought it for an infinity scarf I had forgotten about, and who knows, it still might grow into that..

 
I brought my socks in from my car last night so I could get a picture of them, since I mentioned them yesterday. Are these not some seriously fun stripes!?!? I'm pretty excited about some more fun knit socks!!! For some reason, these seem to be flying off the needles...I only started these I think 3 days ago? Given that I only work on them on the go....

 
I've only got about nine more rows of my cowl to do before I'm finished with the knitting part, then a light blocking, and packed away for the cooler weather. I'll share a picture with you once i've completed the knitting part. That's the Cointreau cowl you're probably tired of hearing about, but seriously peeps, this is such a beautiful design. Do yourself a favor and have a look at it...then grab yourself some of the most devine yarn you can find and cast on!!
 
Last night, while at knit night, I had a friend get some pictures of me wearing my Vodka Lemonade. I love how this cardigan fits...it's perfect!!! It feels wonderful on, and Polwarth is very warm, so I have no doubts about it keeping me toasty this fall!! It's designed to be an open front cardi, but I could easily close it with a pin...I like how it's worn open though.
 
 
 
I hope you will enjoy all of the delicious things that represent Fall!!! Do you and your family do anything special this time of year? My husband and I will more than likely make another trip to our second home in Idaho...hopefully, before the first snowflakes begin to fly...but even if they do, we are okay with that. We will also be going on field trips with the 'littles' to the pumpkin farms, and visiting my favorite place...my birthplace, where they celebrate the apple harvest! Yummmmm..... 



2 comments:

I'm so glad you stopped by!