Sunday, September 28, 2014

Would you like to swing on a star?

It was such an amazing fall-like weekend here in northern California, complete with a little rain, and even a couple of inches of snow in the Sierra Nevada range. We needed every drop we could get to help with a wildfire we've had here for a couple of weeks now. I think I heard on the news today that full containment is expected tomorrow. Thank goodness!!!

My 'Ditto' cardi wasn't making me very happy once I got the sleeves joined to the body, so the only thing I could do, was un-join them, and knit some more. It just seemed like it was going to be too short for my taste, so I knitted an extra two inches, and tonight will put the sleeves back on so I can begin on the yoke. That's pretty much all the knitting I have done this weekend.

A few days ago, I bought us a floor scrubber for our ceramic tile floor(s). I used our new Shark Steam & Spray Pro, and I am so impressed!!! No residue whatsoever on the tile like I used to have with a mop and bucket. It was fast, easy, and dry in less than five minutes! Never thought I would enjoy mopping floors..hahaha

 
With the house all clean and tidy yesterday, it left me free to do something fun today. A local alpaca farm was hosting an open house for the weekend, and I really didn't think much about it. Then, a friend posted in our group forum on Ravelry how she went out there this morning and had such a great time with these fabulous animals. She even ended up purchasing a skein of alpaca yarn. Normally, I'm highly sensitive to alpaca against my skin, which is probably why I didn't think about going to the farm in the first place. About two hours before it was to close, I decided to take the short drive to see what it was like to be up close and personal with the camelids. The minute I saw them, I was in love. Oh my gosh...those big eyes, their cute personalities, and I just melted!! After snuggling up close with them, I thought I would check out Sue and Tom's wares in their little store. I purchased 5 ounces of alpaca roving when I discovered it was the softest fiber I had ever felt!!!! I had never been able to hold it to my skin before, so I'm thinking the commercially prepared alpaca must be a different micron count? I'm not sure what made the difference, but I couldn't resist buying the roving plus a beautiful skein of yarn that Sue (the owner of the farm) handdyed herself.

 
As I was leaving the store, I asked her if she thought she would be doing this again for the holidays. I'm not sure how it happened, but I know it was quick....in a few seconds, I was out in the pasture looking at a cria that Sue said she was trying to get rid of. It was love at first sight...I couldn't say no. I mean, seriously, she was offering to board "TJ" for me for a really reasonably monthly fee that takes care of everything except shearing, and of course, any vet bills should they arise. How could I refuse? After all, I am a spinner and having my very own supply? Huzzah!!!! He is such a cutie, and never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would be an alpaca owner. I am over the moon, and I can't hardly wait to take my grandkids out to the farm to meet him!

 
 

What an awesome weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by!