Saturday, November 22, 2014

Living well and laughing often

It's been a few days since my last entry here, but this is the first chance I've had to get back. I prefer it to be quiet when I write type, and that isn't always possible in our house since I have my grandchildren every day before and after school. Once they go home in the evening, I pretty much spend the rest of the time picking the house up, getting dinner, and then collapsing to sit and knit for a little bit before going to bed. It was during that latter part of the sentence that finally produced my brother's finished scarf. I am so pleased with the way it turned out!!! It has just the perfect drape I was going for, the colors are correct this time, and it's the exact measurements he was wanting.


Right after completing it, I immediately cast on for a pair of house socks for one of my grandsons. Using worsted weight yarn and bigger needles, I was done in no time with the first pair. These have been claimed by Huckleberry (we call him Huck for short) since he wanted red, and Oliver (Olli for short) picked out a worsted weight teal color of Encore Worsted in my stash. I'm hoping to have them done very quickly also! These socks will be for when they come in from school and take off their muddy dirty shoes. They complain their feet are cold, so I told them "Nana" had a plan for them. When I let Huck try on the first one I finished, he exclaimed, "Oh Nana!!!! I LOVE them!!!" That certainly made it all worth it! :) Their new favorite game to play after school is Chinese Checkers, so now, their toes will be toasty warm as we sit and play our game!

 
Huck is the little blonde with the long sleeves on. He's the oldest of my two littles, at the age of 6. I am so blessed...these kids bring us so much joy and laughter every day into our home. I truly wouldn't have it any other way!!!
 
I have been spinning in the early mornings still, but since it's alpaca being spun fine, you would more than likely get bored every time I show a pic because you probably wouldn't notice the progress like I do. So, to keep from doing that to you, I won't show any progress pics until I have something more substantial to show you. You're welcome. 
 


I continue on my journey to keep diabetes at bay, so am finding different ways to get creative in the kitchen. I'm using no breads, pastas, or grains...really anything that has a lot of carbs or sugars in it.
This is one of my favorite breakfast ideas, especially when it's cold, windy, and rainy.

All I do is spray a little Pam in the bottom of my skillet. Throw in a couple handfuls of fresh spinach, 1/4 cup Ro-Tel tomatoes, and saute this until spinach is how you like yours. I'm using the spinach to bring up my potassium, so I try to have it at least twice a day. I think it's working since I have no more leg cramps! Yayyyyy!!! The Ro-Tel tomatoes are a bit on the spicy side, so if that's not your thing, then I suggest using either fresh chopped tomatoes or diced canned tomatoes. Fresh is better so you aren't getting all of that sodium, but either way, it's healthy for you. I then use two egg whites and scramble that all together. You could actually throw in some bacon sans the fat drippings in there as well and I think you would be fine. I rarely eat bananas, but they looked so good at the store yesterday, so thought I would pick some up, and have one with breakfast this morning...again, the potassium! I love a new tea I found by Bigelow, which I'm sure is seasonal, but I'm going to enjoy it until the stores run out of it. It's called Eggnogg'n, and if you like eggnog, but not all the calories, etc., then this is the way to go!! I love eggnog, but unless they make a sugar free one, I'll pass. I haven't even checked on this yet. Something to think about doing!
Anyway, this is a very filling and healthy breakfast and you can literally throw any kind of veggies, or whatever you like in it.
Just remember, another key part of staying healthy to keep diabetes away is exercise!!! So, until next time my friends, I'm off to bundle up for a nice long walk. I'm dog sitting my neighbor's yellow lab (I just love her!) and love taking her for walks as well as my own two pups!!!

2 comments:

  1. the scarf turned out great!
    and oh i love those house socks!! perfect for this time of year!
    -melissa

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by!