Friday, February 6, 2015

Listen to the rhythm of the falling rain

While I know I should be up cleaning house, there is just something about a much needed and long awaited morning of rain and clouds, and at one point, there was even some thundering. All I want to do is snuggle up with a cup of hot coffee, my fur babies, and my book, alternated with knitting and even a little spinning thrown in. Just to make sure all my bases are covered and I show some equal love to my crafts, ya know? As usual, it's been a week of busy-ness with taking care of some tasks my husband asked me to handle while he is out of town for a few days. I don't mind because..hello..it benefits the both of us! We have been wanting/needing to buy a new kitchen knife set for ages now, but Scooter is one of those that does his homework first and buys quality. Really, why not? Knives seem to be one of those things that you pay for what you get. He has taught me to be particular about the way we spend our money, and if you want something like this to go the distance and do the job well, it's worth the extra in the end. Mind you, I know nothing about knives, other than they are sharp and can hurt you, but on the other hand, they can also perform miracles in your kitchen. Anyway, that's been one of my missions this week...shop for a knife set while keeping in mind you want quality but at the best price you can get. I'll let you know what I come up with and if anyone has suggestions, please, by all means, leave me a comment!!!

The second project I've been handed, and really, I'm loving it, because again, it's going to add to both our lives. Do you know how hard it is to find a tree removal service in my area? I mean, seriously....I have had three different companies set appointments with me to come out and take a look at a tree we want removed, and all of them flaked on me. Not a good business practice, that's for sure! I finally was surprised this morning when another one I called who set an appointment with me actually showed up. So there I was, still in my nightgown, curled up with my dogs and coffee, hair up in a haphazard bun in bedhead state, no bra, and a truck pulls up in front of my house. Arrrgghhhh You will never see me run that fast down a hallway again to scramble for some clothes before the dude gets to my doorbell! If you do, it means there is probably a fire somewhere...God forbid! I made it though just as he rang it, apologized for the way I looked, and told him I would meet him around at the gate. He was such a nice guy, and the best part?? He came in with a bid of $500. less than a guy quoted us last year!!!! AND...it includes removing roots, grinding the stump out, and hauling away everything so it looks like there was never even a tree in that spot. The guy last year only quoted us for chopping down the tree, nothing more. Amazing!!! By this time next week, there will no longer be a tree in our back yard sending its roots racing toward our house and cracking our foundation, or the little round spiked balls all over the lawn that cause you to say things you didn't mean to scream when you step on one barefoot (it's a liquid amber). Yes, I know they are beautiful in the fall when the colors are changing, but go with me on this one...they aren't worth the hassle they create. After that is done, Scooter (I just love that nickname I gave him! lol) and I will be shopping for a nice "tiny house" aka storage shed, but first I need to find a contractor to set us a cement pad. I'm so stoked to finally getting our back yard landscaped and how we want it to be.

With all of that happening, there has still been a lot of knitting and spinning going on. I haven't taken updated pictures today since it's so gray out, but I do have some to show you from a couple of days ago. I have completed the heel flap and turned it on my Through the Loops Mystery Sock KAL 2015 by Kirsten Kapur. We just got the next clue this past Wednesday, so I will focus on getting that done this weekend. This is such a beautiful pattern and I'm anxious to get to the next clue!!

 
My Downton Abbey Mystery Shawl KAL is such a beautiful pattern so far!!! I have about six more rows of clue#5 to finish and I will be officially caught up. However, Kristen from Jimmy Beans Wool, accidentally sent us clue #6 last week along with clue #5, so if we want to knit ahead, we are welcome to, otherwise, we can just wait until Sunday to start on it. I'm so enjoying working on this though. We have one more clue left, which I'm excited for, but it also means Downton Abbey will be over for yet another season. I love that show so much, but it also means Scooter and I can watch other things on Sundays now (he's not a fan of DA).
 
 
I finally finished spinning all of that alpaca that seemed to take forever, and in fact, I've already plied one bobbin and am on the second one. I'm doing a Navajo (chain ply) ply on it and as of this morning, I'm about halfway finished with it. I will be so happy to finally get some 'color' on my wheel!! Since I'm so close to being done with it, I'll just wait to take an updated picture of it then.
 
If I'm to get anything else done today, I'm going to have to push away from my desk. I have a lot more to share with you, but for now, I've finished my last cup of coffee and need to get a few more things accomplished before the weekend is here. I hope you enjoy your weekend and remember, life is short, so do something you love!!
 




1 comment:

  1. Glad you got to the door just in time! We had no-shows or no-callbacks when we were looking to get our trees removed, too. Those socks are looking great!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by!