On October 27th (two weeks ago), I walked out of my doctor's office after a routine visit to see where I stand healthwise. I was told I am pre-diabetic and if I don't change my ways, I will eventually become a diabetic. That was enough to scare me into finding out all I could about it and how I could prevent it. I became determined to make the changes necessary and since then I have changed my diet, and am now exercising religiously. I will visit with my doctor again at the end of January to see where the numbers are, and I'm also working with a nutritionist. I have always eaten pretty healthy since the early 80's when I became a lifetime Weight Watcher member, but my downfall is portion control. I have now gotten that under control again, and in the process, I have also kicked the sugar and carb habit. I have never felt better in my life! The other issue with my health we learned through some blood work was that I am very deficient in Vitamin D, magnesium, and potassium. My doctor prescribed some Vitamin D and magnesium for me, and wants me to bring the potassium up through diet. My joints no longer ache, and I have so much more energy..it's amazing. This has been the best birthday present I could have ever received!!
Now, let's talk about knitting, shall we? As I mentioned in my last post, I knitted my little Izzie a new sweater. I forgot to show it to you though, so here's the pic of her frozen in time. She refused to move in it, and when she did, she tried to shake it off, like she does a blanket. Little stinker! :)
I haven't knitted very much over the weekend, but I did make a little bit of progress in church yesterday. What? In church!??! Yes, in church I have the ability to participate and listen at the same time I knit. Our church is such a laid back kind of church. We have a coffee shop and you are actually welcome to bring your coffee into services. Having said that, I must say that I do put my knitting down during communion, prayer, and singing. I seriously need to get my brother's scarf off the needles and sent to him. He can definitely use it right now!
My dear sweet Ladybug, how I have missed you so!!! I have walked past you, stared at you from afar, even ran my hand over you once to let you know I haven't forgotten about you. Life has just been so hectic the past two weeks, and the real truth is that I was too lazy to change the bobbin on you. My granddaughter used you last and I kept waiting to find the time to work with her some more, and teach her to spin more yarn. It's not that she hasn't wanted to, she has actually asked each time she has been over, but I had other tasks that needed to be done at the time. I'm thinking today might be the day I just go ahead and take her bobbin off, give you a drink of oil, and continue spinning my alpaca on you. I get excited at the prospect of this!! I think I might also start trying to find a used wheel for my granddaughter for Christmas. I would love to take her with me this next May to Retzlaff Vineyards for a "day of spinning among the vines". She seems to really love spinning and that just makes my heart so happy!!
Granddaughter's spinning
While the day is still young as I post this, and I have now finished my breakfast, I am going to say "until next time" and wish a great day for you! I'm thinking a pedicure sounds lovely and relaxing for my birthday!!
first off - izzy looks wonderful in the new sweater!
ReplyDeleteyou were an adorable baby! i'm so glad to hear that things are going well with your new/renewed diet plan - diabetes is scary, i hope your numbers reflect your new positive outlook when you check them in january!
-melissa
Awww..thank you so much! It's a great sweater, but I haven't put it back on her since this time. She stands there like a statue..hahahahha
DeleteI just can't get over the fact that my mom was only 18 in that picture..a baby herself. But then, I had my first one at 18 also! :)
Yes, diabetes is very scary and I'm doing everything I can to keep from developing it! :)